Geriatrics Recap

With the craziness of this past weekend and the excitement of SMD14 Orientation, I totally forgot to do this!

Pros:
- Flexible work hours.  I am seeing more and more how important this is to me.
- Continuity (and frequency) of care.  We would schedule weekly or biweekly follow-up clinic visits for many of our elderly patients with several medical problems.
- Relaxed work environment.  As Kristy always said, "There are no emergencies in Geriatrics."

Cons:
- 90-minute initial visits and 45-minute follow-up visits.  Yes, I like talking to patients, but even I find this to be a little too long.
- Having to work with many demented patients.  The healthy and active geratric patients are awesome, but the ones that are losing their ability to communicate with the rest of the world are awfully depressing.
- Limited population.  Why focus on Geriatrics when you can see the whole spectrum of ages in Primary Care by doing something like Family Medicine instead?

Speaking of SMD14 Orientation, though, it's time to go venture out to this "Socializing at Coupe DeVille's" event.  Man, I wish I were a first year again...

No comments: