Anesthesiology Recap

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Pros:
- Anesthesiologists have a fantastic lifestyle.  It's basically like shift work, and at UVA, if you have to work past 5pm because of a PACU holdup, you actually get paid overtime.  ZOMG, really??
- You get a lot of instant gratification.  The patient's blood pressure is too low?  Administer some phenylephrine and see it rise!  The patient is beginning to buck on the operating table?  Shoot 'em up with some more propofol and watch 'em calm down!
- Anesthesiologists are really nice people.  Well, maybe except for one or two attendings... but seriously, they tend to be laid-back and easy to talk to.  I mean, you have to be a likable person if you're going to be the one helping someone through a traumatic surgery.

Cons:
- The job is characterized by intense moments scattered throughout an otherwise boring day.  Too much sitting behind the drape in the operating room, not enough action.
- I'll be honest, it would be hard for me to be in the operating room and not be the alpha dog.  I don't want to spend the rest of my life responding to surgeons asking me to decrease the heart rate or raise the bed.
- I've never been recruited so diligently in my entire life.  Either those anesthesiologists really love what they're doing, or they're just brainwashing me into joining their cult...

And, because my blog is a shining beacon of truth, here is the most truthful article on the entire interwebz: The Official Michael Cera Aging Timeline.

No comments: