23. Stepping Out

Here I am in the Madrid airport again, although only for nine hours this time instead of 15 hours like last time. Still, there was no way I could stay in the terminal for the entire day; duty-free stores can only entertain me for so long.

Once again, I decided to visit the city with what time I had, while the girls stayed at the airport and worked on their various projects and assignments. I asked one of the airport employees what I should do with such little time, and they suggested that I check out the area around Plaza de Espana. It turns out that's where the old city is, and the first thing I did was tour the palace. It was just as extravagant and beautiful as I had expected, but unfortunately, you are not allowed to take pictures inside. Negative cool points.

Afterwards, I found a nice little cafe in the middle of the Plaza de Mayor, where I had a nice brunch and a nice cup of coffee. I finished up just in time to catch an hour-and-a-half "Essential Madrid" walking tour with the city's tourism agency, which only cost three euros! Sadly, I had to run back to the airport immediately after it ended, but I wrote down all the interesting places around town that I want to visit when I come back for an extended amount of time, which I plan to do as soon as possible.

Okay, time to board the plane for the last leg of my trip. Hard to imagine that less than 24 hours ago, I was in Africa; now, I'm in Europe; and less than 12 hours from now, I'll be back in America. Home, sweet home!

No comments: