22. Flying Home

Well, we made it back to Maseru, and in a matter of hours, we’ll be on a plane flying out of the Kingdom in the Sky. I’m pretty excited about getting back to the part of the world where it’s summer right now, but I know I’m going to miss this place a lot. Since I already made a list of things I miss about home, here are some of the things I will miss about Lesotho when I’m back in Virginia.

1. Cheap food. We could cook enough food for all four of us on less than $10 at each meal. Boy, did the American dollar come through for us when we needed it the most.

2. Being dirty. I liked showering once every two or three days, and I loved wearing the same two hoodies for an entire month. Ah, the easy life.

3. Walking everywhere. It's going to be hard enough adjusting to cars on the right side of the road, let alone driving itself. Back to gas-guzzling America I go!

4. Constant attention. In the States, I'm just another Asian kid. In Lesotho, I'm a freaking celebrity. People stare at us Mahuas (white people) everywhere we go. That's right, I'm kind of a big deal.

5. Our new friends. We worked with some pretty awesome people at GROW, like Ntate Mphoso, Thakane, M'e Kefoue, Teko, Latsika, and of course our GROW puppy, Tsina. I'm gonna miss them the most of all. The night before we left, they even gave us all Basotho names. Mine is "Thabo," which means "happiness" in Sesotho. Apparently my guffawing laugh is just as inappropriate in Lesotho as it is in the States.

In spite of all this, I'm looking forward to returning home. Next up: Mary Virginia's wedding, followed by SMD2013 Orientation. Real world, here I come!

No comments: