7. Learning History

I'm back "home" in Johannesburg now, but before we left Cape Town, Russell and I visited Robben Island. Unfortunately, I didn't really know anything about apartheid or South African history in general. In fact, everything I knew about Robben Island before I visited, I learned from that season of America's Next Top Model that I watched with Catherine. I faintly recall the black girl getting really mad because the half-black girl is chosen to unlock the gate to Nelson Mandela's prison cage.

Anyway, our visit to the maximum security prison was incredibly powerful. All of the tours are given by former political prisoners, making the experience all the more intense. Our tour guide was imprisoned for "terrorism" for seven years, starting from when he was only 17 years old. He had an incredible story, as did all of the political prisoners who were once held there.

The only low point of the day was watching the USA vs. Brazil Confederations Cup Final tonight. It was pretty demoralizing to see us fall from a 2-0 lead to a 2-3 loss. Alas, there's always next year...

1 comment:

Catmo said...

such a fine moment in human history.