6. Climbing Mountains

We just spent the entire day in the great outdoors. After a late start (we slept in until 9am this morning), we headed to Cape Peninsula National Park. Along the way, we stopped at a random beach to play with the penguins. Or at least, I tried to play with them... they kept running away from me when I waddled towards them. We also passed several baboons with pink butts (Rafiki!?) on the side of the road.

We spent several hours hiking around the park, visiting both Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope. I can't imagine what it would be like to be Diaz or Da Gamma, rounding the southern tip of Africa and discovering that there was more land on the other side. I can, however, imagine what it would be like to fall off the cliffs and plummet to your death, because I was in constant fear that it would happen to me.

After taking approximately 12938290318 photos at the most Southwestern point of Africa, we drove to Table Mountain, believed to be the oldest mountain in the world. We opted to ride the funicular (or cable car) all the way to the top instead of doing the extremely long and difficult hike because it was so late in the day, although I'd love to be able to do that at some point. We ended the day with a ridiculously cheap but delicious dinner at Hout Bay. Seriously, is this paradise?

Now it's time to go meet some fellow travelers at the hostel bar. Peace out, cub scout.

No comments: