Bad Grammar Makes Me [Sic]

I'm not a very forgiving person when it comes to spelling and grammar. I've learned to control myself when it comes to some common errors, like definately, rediculous, and wierd, but something new has come to my attention. Recently, I have come across several Gchat statuses that say "I have worn the honors of Honor. I have graduated from Virginia." That's right, I'm talking to you, UVA Class of 2009. I'm sorry, but James Hay, Jr. wore the Honor of honors. The term honors of Honor doesn't even make sense, and its continued use merits the revocation of your degree.

Oh, and by the way, the correct spelling is d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.

EDIT: Nosheen has pointed out to me that the version of the poem on the Honor Committee website says honors of Honor. With conflicting versions of the poem floating around on the internet, I no longer know who to believe. Either way, somebody's grammar is wrong, and he/she will pay for it. Mark my words.

3 comments:

George said...

"Honors of Honor" seems like revisionist history at best. Way to lie about the past, honor comiteee [sic].

Molly said...

just did a google search for the two versions, and "honors of Honor" appears to win. google doesn't lie. punk.

Anonymous said...

If you want to get picky about grammar, then I believe the following should read:

I no longer know whom to believe.

Would you say 'I no longer know to believe he,' or 'I no longer know to believe him?'

You go with the latter; therefore, you go with the object form 'whom'.