Another Weekend, Another Hike

Josh, Katie, and I tackled Old Rag Mountain today, another one of my favorite hikes in the Shenandoah Valley. I hadn't done it in over two years, though, and it was a lot harder to reach the 3,291-foot summit than I remembered. Now I understand why pets aren't allowed on the mountain; there was no way that Titan could have made it over the rock scramble portion of the hike.

I also realized during the hike that unless you are in good shape, you probably would not be able to complete Old Rag. Not only is the trail itself difficult, but there are several narrow passages that no obese person would be able to squeeze through. Even I had trouble with some of them, which is saying a lot.

Oh, and I finally bought an annual pass to the Shenandoah National Park, which means that I can get in free with three guests every time I want to go hiking. Any takers for the weekend after exams?

EDIT: My realization is correct. Check out the sad but true review of Old Rag by firsttimehiker posted on Monday, May 25.

No comments: