Playing Doctor

Today, I completed my preceptorship with Dr. Gazewood, the guy who shows us how to do all of the physical exams in our online POM modules. I had requested somebody in Family Medicine, and he was definitely a good match. During both of my sessions, he let me conduct a few of the patient interviews and perform a few of the physical exams on my own. Highlights from this afternoon:

While interviewing a patient alone:
Sam: So tell me about your anxiety. Have you had any trouble with it lately?
Patient: Well, not really, although I guess the economy has been causing me some stress. You know, I have to pay $497 a month for my COBRA.
Sam: [thinking that he was talking about a Ford Mustang Cobra] Wow, that's pretty steep! Is that a recent purchase?
Patient: [looking confused] Well, I had to start paying for my own insurance after I had to leave my job due to my health.
Sam: [realizing that he was actually referring to the Consolidation Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act] Oh, I'm so sorry... I thought you were talking about the car... I guess you know where my mind usually is!

While taking a History of Present Illness
Dr. Gazewood: Do you ever have headaches with that?
Patient: No, I don't. I've never had a headache in my life, I don't reckon.
Dr. Gazewood: Okay, what ab...
Patient: But I sure have had a hangover! HAHA!

No comments: