I Voted

...and it was the most underwhelming experience of my life. I drove all the way back to Richmond, excited to vote in person for the first time in my life. Would I encounter picketers marching around the polling site? Would I get to wait in line for hours to make my vote count? Would people be turned away, cursing and screaming at how the system has failed them? Would there be a lever machine, a punch card ballot, or even a touch-screen computer? Would they have a petting zoo!?

Answer: None of the above. I walked into my local high school and there was literally nobody in front of me in line. The workers asked me for my name, and when I offered them my driver's license, they didn't even look at it. Then the worst part: I had a scantron ballot! ARE YOU SERIOUS!? Heck, I've been filling those things out since I took the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills in the fifth grade. And nobody was there to take an exit poll as I left the voting area. What a disappointment.

On the bright side, I stopped at Starbucks on my way back to Charlottesville and got a free cup of coffee. I also filled up on gas for $1.99/gallon AND ordered a delicious Turkey Shorti Hoagie for $2.99 at Wawa. Man, I wish every day were Election Day!

No comments: