What's in a Name?

I'm taking a break from my aforementioned need to study to post the nicknames given to the Class of 2008 Gross Anatomy Lab cadavers. Who needs cells or tissue structures anyway? They've never done me any good.

Bert: short for Albert. Means bright in German.
Bertha: feminine form of Albert. See above.
Blanche: means white in French.
Buddhist Biker Bill: short for Buddhist Biker William. William means will or desire in German. Ergo, desire to go to Buddhist Biker Bar & Grill.
Chocolate Bear: CAMPING.
Debbie: short for Deborah. Means bee in Hebrew.
Doris: means Dorian woman in ancient Greek.
Fred: short for Frederick. Means peaceful ruler in German. (I wonder what Adolf means?)
Gertie: short for Gertrude. Means spear and strength in German. (Has a woman named Gertrude ever won the Olympics decathlon?)
Harley: from a place name meaning hare clearing in Old English.
Henrietta: feminine form of Henry. Means home ruler in German.
Mandingo: AUSTRALIA. Also, FANDANGO.
Martha: means mistress of the house in Aramaic.
Millie: short for Millicent. Means work or labor in German. (So, was Millie a Jew?)
Morty: short for Mortimer. From a place meaning still water in Old French.
Mr. Magoo: MYOPIA.
Pierre: French form of Peter. Means stone in Greek.
Pumpkin: HALLOWEEN.
Rose: associated with the word for the fragrant flower rose. (Are you sure it's not associated with the word formaldehyde?)
Sitting Bull: RACIST.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam, this is excellent! I laughed my ass off. Mr. Locoh-Donou.

sara2745 said...

Sam - You're hillarious! I enjoy reading all of your posts!
Lol, I think I've encountered "Chess Man" before - my encounter was this summer - every day he'd be outside of West Complex eating lunch and listening to who knows what on his extremely oversized headphones....