Nuevos Amigos

I'm the only person from UVA working at San Lucas Tolimán.  This is a blessing and a curse.  I'm actually obligated to practice my Spanish at the clinic because there is nobody for me to cheat and speak English with.  However, I miss all of my friends and I am jealous that all of them (with the exception of Steph) get to live with other UVA students and hang out in the evenings after they're done with work.

At least I'm not entirely alone.  There are other volunteers at the San Lucas Mission, all working on different sorts of projects.  I've become good friends with the other long-term volunteers.  They're a fun group: all of the LTVs aside from myself are either in college or recently graduated, so there's a lot of youthful energy.  Uhh wow, I sound like I'm really old or something.

I've also become pretty close with another group of fourth year med students from West Virginia University and a church group from Michigan.  Sadly, the church group and half of the med students left at the end of last week.  It's crazy: new volunteers are coming and old ones are leaving every day.  My only constant companion is Tiny Tower.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

TINY TOWER WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU