Dream, Come True

So the comma in that title was supposed to infer that it is more of a plea than a statement.

Anyway, I always have awesome dreams, but last night's was extra special.  My obsession with superheroes, my love for action and adventure movies, and the fact that yesterday was Father's Day all came together to form one of the greatest stories of all time.

It's a rainy night in New York City.  A young, blonde-haired woman is being chased down the alley by a good-for-nothing who is trying to steal her purse.  "Spider-Man!" she cries, hoping that the superhero will come save her.  She trips on a sewer grate, loses her balance, and falls.  The thief catches up to her, and as he grabs her handbag, he hears the "thud" of someone landing behind him.  Terrified, he turns around, expecting to see Spider-Man deliver a dose of swift justice.  Instead, he sees Venom, who has bonded once again to Spider-Man, towering over him.  Venom nods curtly at the criminal and lets him go, then takes the woman as a prisoner.

  

This is just the first of many isolated incidents that eventually form a pattern.  The people of New York City realize that their metropolis is no longer safe; Spider-Man is no longer there to protect them.  Instead, the Venom Symbiote has begun kidnapping all of the blonde women and hidden them away somewhere.

Meanwhile, I am hanging out in my apartment with my dad (for some reason played by Paul).  Tired of hearing reports in the news of Venom's unending acts of violence, he decides to take matters into his own hands.  He designs a suit that gives the person who wears it amazing jumping abilities not dissimilar to that of the Daredevil supervillain Leap-Frog as well as the wall-climbing abilities of Magento's henchman Toad.  Considering himself too old and frail to carry out the task, my dad sends me out with the task of bringing Venom to justice.

I hunt Venom for days, scaling the skyscrapers looking for any sign of him.  The kidnappings continue, but I can't find any pattern to them, and a week later, I am still no closer to catching Venom.  Then I have an idea: I find Mary Jane and convince her that she is the only hope we have of ending all this madness.  She agrees to dye her iconic red hair a platinum blonde and to walk brazenly through the streets.  With all of the other blonde women terrified to leave their houses at night, we assure ourselves that it will not take long before Venom attempts to capture her.

Mary Jane leaves her home that night to walk around Central Park.  I hover from a distance, never letting myself be more than one city block from her.  Then out of nowhere, Venom appears!  He's faster than me, and before I can intervene, he grabs Mary Jane and flees into the distance.  I pursue him and find him entering the basement of the Ellis Island Immigration Museum, still closed to the public for repairs.  I creep in behind him and find all of the women he has captured hanging from the in cocoons he has created for them.

"Put her down!"  I yell as I spring into action.  Venom flings Mary Jane aside, knocking her unconscious, and then turns to comes at me, mouth agape.  An epic battle begins.

My alarm wakes me up.

Seriously!?  Right now?  Just as the action is about to begin??  I'm assuming that what WOULD have happened if I hadn't abruptly been wrenched out of my beautiful dream is that we would have fought for a really long time, Venom would have overpowered me, Mary Jane would have come to just in time to see him about to kill me, she would have run up to Venom and pleaded with him for mercy and awakened what little there was of Peter Parker inside, Peter Parker would have wrestled control of his body back from the Venom Symbiote, I would have taken advantage of his moment of weakness and knocked him unconscious, Mary Jane and I would have dragged his body to the nearest bell tower, and we would have separated Venom from Spider-Man once and for all.  I'm just mad I didn't get to see it all come to fruition in my dream.  Blast.

1 comment:

Christin said...

Blonde women in NYC being kidnapped and cocooned and no resolution? I'm not liking your dream world, Sam.