It's a Beautiful Day In This Neighborhood

I was driving to the gym yesterday when I passed David and Brent's house.  Knowing that the first years start their exams next Monday, I was surprised to find a group of people grilling out on their front lawn.  I slowed down my car, rolled down the window, and yelled out, "How are you guys allowed to have fun right now?"

Some girl I didn't know stared at me for a second before replying, "We... just are?"

I realized then that it wasn't the first years that were cooking out; it was a group of friends who knew David and Brent's non-med school roommates.  By then it was too late; I had already pulled over and gotten out of my car to say hi to what I thought were my friends.  Too late to turn back, I thought to myself.  Not knowing what else to do, I greeted one of the roommates that I didn't know, explained that I knew the med students who lived there, tried to avoid the quizzical looks on the other guests' faces, and dove back into my car to drive away as fast as possible.  Awkwwarrf...

No comments: