New Release

The ever-amazing Geekologie writer just exposed me to the music video for The Dork Anthem by musical comedians Dave and Brian.  And, because all I ever do is give and give, I'll share it with you here:


I'm not gonna lie, I really like the song.  So much so that I'm actually considering buying their CD.  They remind me of bands I used to listen to in high school, like blink-182 and New Found Glory.  But before I pay money for their music, I need someone to reassure me that they don't end all of their other songs with the "truck driver's gear change."  If you're not familiar with the term, it's when a song abruptly shifts up either a half step or a whole step (in this case, a whole step).  This technique has been used and abused by pop stars over the past few decades as a cheap way to provide an "emotionally uplifting" finale.  The artist is basically saying, "I'm not ready to end this song yet, but I don't want the listener to get bored when I play the chorus one more time.  What can I do?  Oh yeah, play the exact same thing a (half/whole) step higher!"

Hm, that was a little harsh.  But we've got to figure out a way to stop this musical trend from happening!  O Concertgod, I beg thine assistance!

No comments: