See Spot Run

As of yesterday afternoon, Titan and I are officially entered in the Pack It Out Canine 5K.  It's the last in the Charlottesville Canine Run/Walk series, which is comprised of four trail races put on by the Charlottesville Running Company.  I would have entered the other races as well, but I only heard about them from Liz two weeks ago.  Anyway, I'm pretty excited, and I've started myself (and Titan) on a training schedule consisting of various short runs, long runs, and interval workouts.

I'm especially pumped for this race because some guy named Blake Puhak from Richmond and his dog Jocelyn have won the first three 5Ks this year.  I will be kind of sad for Blake if he doesn't get to win all four races, but I'll be much less sad if I'm the one who gets to take him down.

The only problem is I need to figure out a way to keep Titan concentrated on running and prevent him from chasing after every squirrel he sees.  Today while we were running down Ivy Road, he saw a squirrel sitting on the edge of a low brick wall and ate it.  Well, he would have, if I hadn't made him put it down.  It was the most bizarre thing I'd ever seen... the squirrel didn't try to run away from us, and it didn't even freak out while Titan had it clenched between his jaws.  Maybe the squirrel was suffering from Major Depressive Disorder with Suicidal Ideation.  Sigh.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Suicidal depression isn't a bad guess. But more likely, you encountered the Bear Grylls of squirrels as he demonstrated how to survive a dog attack. Titan is lucky to be alive.