15. Chillaxing

I am clearly not cut out to live without the internet in my life. The lack of communication with the outside world has taken a toll on me both physically and emotionally. Okay, fine, I’ll stop being overdramatic, but it is much harder than I had at first anticipated.

Our hosts asked us to “chillax” this weekend. We certainly deserved the break after such an intense and grueling week doing interviews in the villages. To celebrate our hard work, we invited our translators over for a pancake breakfast on Saturday. I made friends with the Chinese grocery store owners here, so they ordered us some fresh vegetables from Maseru, the capital of Lesotho, and I cooked beef stir-fry on Saturday night. At least I’m feasting while I’m here!

Yesterday we decided to hike to a cliff that we can see from our front door. It was a lot farther than it looked, and definitely harder to get to than we expected, but we were rewarded with an amazing view when we reached the top. The only sad part of the hike was that I walked past a dog that had died on the side of the mountain. The baby goats that we saw and played with on our way back more than made up for that, though.

Funny story: I wrote this blog post earlier today at the internet cafe but was unable to post it this morning because they RAN OUT OF INTERNET. I didn't know that was even possible, but apparently we used up all of their minutes, and the internet went down for the rest of the day. WHERE AM I!?

No comments: