The More You Know

Our medical school class went apple picking at Carter Mountain Orchard yesterday, and I kept thinking of Johnny Appleseed while we were there. I remember being obsessed with him when I was a kid, so I decided to read up on his Wikipedia article when I got home. It turns out that unlike my other childhood hero Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed was a real person who introduced apples to large parts of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.

Now that I know his real story, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not very impressed. Forget Johnny Appleseed; I think I prefer the guy who was delivered to his parents by five storks, used wagon wheels for buttons, ate 50 pancakes in one minute, owned a blue ox and a purple cow, and trained giant ants that weighed 2,000 pounds to do logging work in the winter.

No comments: